Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Hawkeye Hug


June Stoskopf, Vernon Bang and Joann Aukes

When I (Joann) acquired a saxophone again (after 50 years of not having any playing experience) I was spending the summers in Iowa . I learned that there was a New Horizons Band at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls , Iowa . I went to see what it was all about and began playing with them that summer. That year when I returned to Dallas , a New Horizon’s Band was forming and I began playing here as a Founding Member. While playing in Iowa I learned what an integral member June was in the band there. Imagine my delight when she appeared at our NHB Dallas after moving here in 2004. What a great percussionist she is and just what NHBD needed. We renewed our friendship. Then last year when we had a band expansion program I was called by Vernon Bang, another Iowa percussionist who is a great addition to NHBD. Our memories of living in Iowa provide a unique bond between us. That is why we get together at practices for our Hawkeye Hug.

No comments: